Kids can be unpredictable, especially in a new and busy place like an airport. The most important thing to remember about going to the airport with kids is to be prepared for anything.
The key is to keep them comfortable, and many airports can actually help make that possible. Some airports offer complimentary play areas, but if there isn’t one, there are still ways to keep your child entertained. Of course, you can bring along your child’s favorite coloring book or an iPad loaded with all their favorite shows, but here are a few other ideas:
- Card games – Easy to bring with, and interactive!
- Storybooks – Before leaving for a trip, help your child pick out their favorite books to bring.
- Scavenger Hunt – Think Airport I Spy!
- Watching planes take off – Maybe you can even chat with an off-duty pilot or flight attendant, if your child is interested in learning more about airplanes.
Long plane rides can be hard for kids, especially ones who don’t like to sit still. Before you board, take them for a walk around the airport to get them a bit tuckered out! Some airports, like O’Hare, offer wonderful play areas and indoor parks designed just for kids. It’s a great way to kill time and get in some exercise.
There are often restaurants and stores to adventure through with your little ones as well, and they’ll definitely enjoy riding the escalators up and down. Not to mention, the automatic walkways, like O’Hare’s “Sky’s the Limit” neon walkway! Who doesn’t love those?
There are a million and one ways to keep your kids entertained at the airport, all you need is a little creativity!
Helpful Tips and Facts:
- Writing out a list of possible activities for your kids before going to the airport keeps you well prepared and organized for any situation.
- Play areas can get unsanitary with all the kids that visit them each day. Having a small bottle of hand sanitizer can keep your kids healthy and you happy.